Thursday, October 05, 2006

WHOOPS! Or How to Scare Yourself at 7 AM

This morning I discovered the perils of eating fresh vegetables. One of the things The Wife and I enjoy the most from our CSA farm share is the beets. We make a salad of fresh beets, cucumbers, chick peas, and feta cheese with vinaigrette. We had been using canned beets in the salad until the CSA beets were available. Now we know all about the effects of beets on poop (to the uninitiated, fresh beets make it appear that you are bleeding out your bum when you poop.) We've both managed to scare ourselves when we forgot that we had beets for dinner the night before. Now, we announce "Beet Poop" while we are eating the salad to remind ourselves of the beet effect.

This morning, I scared myself because I peed red. It was at 7 AM, I didn't have my glasses on, and it was the last thing I needed first thing in the morning. I was completely flipped out but felt fine so I didn't run for the phone to call the doctor. I finally had a chance to check online (after I peed for the second time today and it looked completely normal) and beets can do the same thing to pee as they do to poop. Giant sigh of relief. I would have felt really stupid calling my Rad/Onc to report "blood in my urine" only to discover it was beets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bloody Beet Poop, Batman!!! Pink Pee, too!

I just had the same experience after oven roasting some yummy organic beets (and other vegetables, and a chicken) for dinner last night!

I did a quick search just to make sure, and found your blog post - thank you for sharing!!!!!!