Monday, April 09, 2007

Why does everything have to contain high fructose corn syrup?


For reasons of health and to try to help with weight loss I am trying to avoid two things that seem to be ubiquitous these days: high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweetners.  I was in the grocery store over the weekend and I was trying to buy bread.  Nearly every brand/variety of commercially made bread had HFCS in it, even a few labeled as "all natural."  I eventually found one within the "organic" line of a manufacturer whose other products all had HFCS.  Why can't they just use a little sugar?  Or, if it needs to be a liquid, use honey. I bake bread at home and I use honey.  The HFCS and artificial sweetner avoidance is making it very hard for me to find a soda I can drink.  I was used to drinking 2 12 oz. diet sodas a day.  I like carbonated drinks.  I guess I am going to have to start buying seltzer water and juice.  Hmmm, maybe I can find a cola syrup and make my own when I need a fix.  If you know of sodas that don't contain HFCS let me know.  In addition, if you have any suggestions for manufacturers/product lines (not just soda, any products) that don't contain either HFCS or artificial sweetner leave a note in the comments. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue Sky soda has a line of 'real sugar' soda that doesn't have any corn syrup. Also, I think Jones has sodas with real sugar.