Wednesday, August 30, 2006

One down, two to go

I had my first radiation treatment on Monday. Other than being an incredibly long day (we left the house at 4:30 AM and returned at 4:30 PM) it wasn't horrible. Drugs are my friends right now. The placement of the imlants was done under general anesthesia so I have no memory of that. They gave me lots of good medication to keep me comfortable after that. The biggest problem was that the post-anesthesia care unit didn't get me to radiation oncology until 30 minutes past the time they promised I'd be there so I missed my original slot. Then one of the implants moved (I coughed) and they had to re-do the entire set of maybe 15 x-rays. It took them a while to do the calculations of my dose but the treatment itself took 9.5 minutes. I have to go back next Wednesday.

I was really sore yesterday, probably from lying flat on my back on a board from 8 AM until 3 PM and today my bladder is quite irritated. Other than that I feel ok. Still sort of tired in a "a nap would be nice right about now" sort of way. It is also time for my next dose of Advil.

No comments: